Wednesday, November 5, 2008

US presidential elections, and more...

Its victory to obama then. The news came in around 12pm today as i was watching the bbc while eating my lunch ( alternated with mythbusters ). Followed the elections only sporadically but more so in the run up to the elections. I wanted obama to win and so the results were reasonably pleasing. Mccain's concession speech was graceful, he took it on the chin, and pledged to work together and offer his support for obama while obama acknowledged mccain's efforts as well. I envy this 2 men. To have the shoulders and the want to carry the burden of responsibility for a country such as america and by extension the world is a very commendable quality. Not many ( including some elected to positions of power ) have the ability to pull this off successfully. I believe obama is the right man for america in current times. he has the steely nerve required to do what is right to deliver america from this economic gloom eventually. His speech was stirring, crossing race, age and sexual status ( yes he mentioned gays, just a word in his victpry speech ), reminding me of lee kuan yew perhaps. The conviction that he knows what he is doing and also the conviction of knowing the outcome that he will get. Best wishes to the next president of the united states from an 18 year old in singapore.

That dreaded date of the A levels has finally descended upon us. I am unprepared as ever. It seems less scary and headache inducing that i thought it will be. As with many of you, my mind is already drifting to the post exam activities that we will be doing. By the way, i have only got a month plus to spare. I am enlisting on the 7th of janurary, BMTC school 2 ( Anyone reading this the same date and school? ). So book me now!

3 papers over so far, GP, i wrote the longest and in my opinion best essay in JC life on monday. Among the questions there were very little that i could have done. Initially abit apprehensive but the points just flowed as i wrote. Hope it turns out good. Compre was forgettable. The passage seems easy enough to understand when you read it, but the questions really were difficult in that it can be interpreted in more than one way, without a hint as to what the markers want, and obviously you cannot write everything down or it will look just like garbage. I never got the hang of AQ in these 2 years, summary was done very roughly, i forgot to bring my highlighters ( because i did not bring a pencilcase ) which i normally use to highlight points, but summaries do have a habit of throwing surprises at me when i think i am doing badly for it.

Yesterday was physics 1st in the morning. Doable paper, but the lack of practice made the difference for me. Lost a couple of marks with the electric field question in section B although i knew how to do it, just that i wasnt familiar with it and so did not think of solving it that way. All eyes towards paper 2 now. Maths in the afternoon. For the 1st time in my life ( yes including O levels, but excluding primary school ). I managed to complete a maths paper with every question mostly done ( compared to prelims with 5 full questions blank? ). Whether i will a result out of this depends on paper 2 and my carelessness level, as well as whether my answers are correct. I know how to do mainly everything but i am not sure whether i did it the right way, again from the lack of practice. I thought last year's paper was harder ( no offence to those who thinks otherwise ), but by that i dont mean that this year's was easy.

Break today, chemistry tomorrow. Up till have of all the organic chem reactions and stuff seems to have left my mind already. Need to rememorise them.

Time for all of us to look forward now. Not back =)

Cheers and good luck to all

No comments: